Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Dowtown Arby's (Revised Sept 3, 2013)


Narrator:        I’m sure you’ve all heard of Downton Abbey. Recently, I was wondering what the American remake would look like.
                 I submit to you the following suggestion, “Downtown Arby’s.”
                 Here I imagine these characters appearing on this stage.
                 Lord Grantham, the head of the family
Grantham:        Yes, my mother and I would like to be seated in the first class section, please.
Narrator:        Charles Carson the cashier
Carson:          Glad to oblige you, folks, we have a table ready for you right over here.
Narrator:        Violet Crawley, the lord’s mother
Crawley:         Are you sure this is first class?
Carson:          Yes, this table is usually occupied by Old Bob. He never got past his first class at High School, y’know. There he is sleeping under the table again. Bob, bob, wake up, we have company.
Crawley:         Where are we anyway? I thought we were going to a European restaurant. That Scottish place that serves German sandwiches and French style potatoes.
Grantham:        A Scottish place that serves German sandwiches and French style potatoes? Mother, whatever are you talking about?
Crawley:         McDonald’s of course! Sigh!
Grantham:        Mother, tomorrow, I will take you to McDonald’s. Today, we are dining at Arby’s.
Crawley:         Oh damn. And I wore my best pearls hoping we’d run in to that handsome Mayor McCheese. He’s a little greasey, but does raise my blood pressure so.
Grantham:        Right, then, to luncheon. What do you have here?
Carson:          Sir, what we’s got is sandwiches. Now, would you have, say, a Roast Beef sandwich, or an ultimate Angus?
Crawley:         Sandwiches, how horrid, I haven’t touched a sandwich since the Earl of Sandwich took me to see that awful Burger King. He told me we’d be dining with royalty, then he showed me his whopper.
Carson:          Well, ma’am, we do have other sandwiches like the reuben.
Grantham:        I suppose a reuben will have to do. Tell you what, we’ll share a rueben and a chopped salad. And be quick about it before mother starts going on about the Dairy Queen and her fivesome with the Banana Splits.
Crawley:         Ah yes, Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork. Those were the days.
Carson:          And to drink?
OVER

Grantham:        Oh, give us Dr. Peppers, I’ll tell mother that it’s head ache medicine.
Carson:          So, how long you folks in town for?
Crawley:         I heard something speaking, was that directed at us? I never know how to speak back to these savages while we’re out in the colonies.
Grantham:        Mother! These are civilized people and America has been independent since the reign of crazy Great Uncle George.
Crawley:         You mean your crazy, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Uncle George. Your dad’s family thought they were so great, yet they were all crazy inbreeders!
Grantham:        Now, stop picking on dad’s family. What did your family ever do that was ever so damned great?
Crawley:         As you well know, we were the first to have nooners and afternoon tea.
Grantham:        Does it really matter so much who or what came first?
Crawley:         Well, it did if you wanted your nooner to last till tea time.
Carson:          All this reminds me of my aunt Irene.
Grantham:        Why, was she a great, great aunt?
Carson:          No sir, she was just crazy (3x’s)
Crawley:         There’s that voice again. It’s like that awful limousine ride from the airport. That twit of a driver kept going on about landing jumbos. What horse-less carriages have to do with elephants is completely beyond me.
Carson:          Oh you mean you got a ride with Jackson our regular limo man? Yeah, he likes to say, before he started driving limos, he piloted jumbo jets. HAHA <ring tone>
Grantham:        Good lord, what was that?
Carson:          Oh that’s my smart phone beeping at me. I got some tweets.
Grantham:        Tweets on a smart phone?
Carson:          Yes, I’m following this twitter feed about the Giants. My buddies are always twittering me.
Crawley:         Why do you need a smart phone to follow a twit? If you want to follow a twit who talks about Giants, why don’t you just follow that idiot limo driver who keeps going on about jumbos?
Grantham:        Mother, that is quite enough! Look, here’s a paper cup filled with some fine Spanish Sherry that I’d brought along with me. Now here you are, enjoy it and please be good.
Crawley:         Finally, some civilization in this god forsaken town! Now, when did you say Mayor McCheese might be stopping by? It is almost noon!
END

No comments:

Post a Comment