Wednesday, September 11, 2013

End of Phase 1

This past Monday night, I started an acting class with Billie Shepard at the San Jose Repertory Theatre, which is close to home. Billie gave me the first real, professional feedback I've had since I started in April. I did the California Mission Impossible sketch and I couldn't explain who the characters were or their motives. Once I get that straight, I'll be able to make the characters more lifelike and distinguishable from each other. My assignment for the week was to find their voices.

Meanwhile, from my long ago experience in music, it would be a mistake to continue practicing my mistakes at open mics until I've satisfied Billie's assignment. So, I'm taking a break from open mics maybe till late October.

Phase 1 of this adventure was discovering what performing stand up comedy and sketches meant as a writer and performer. Now, I will improve my skills off-line and start phase 2 with a much better idea about how to perform on stage. Had I not gone through 5 months of frustration, I would not have been as receptive to Billie's feedback. And I've also made a boatload of new friends outside of work. That's a new experience for me in San Jose as other than our present neighbors, just about everyone we know is from my work or Mireya's school.

Who knows how many phases I'll go through. I could live 50 more years, so...


No comments:

Post a Comment